- How to use the map viewer in Geoplaza? Tutorial
- How to download datasets with the map viewer in Geoplaza? Tutorial
- How to upload map created in ArcGIS to the ArcGIS Server? Tutorial
- How to create a KML map in Google Fusion Tables or Google Maps engine? Tutorial
- How to create, publish or edit a map-view on Geoplaza? Tutorial
- How to use WMS layers directly in ArcGIS? Tutorial
- If you want to use Geoplaza in your research to share data, here is an example
of how to mention Geoplaza in your project proposal.
- ArcGIS software at home
- Online course learning ArcGIS Desktop (ESRI virtual campus)
- ArcGIS help forum
The GIS software package we use at VU University is called ArcGIS 10.1. We have a campus license for this software. You are free to use any other GIS-software you want, but most students and tutors use this software. It is also possible to install this software at home. If you want this, please follow these instructions:
Note: In principle, ArcGIS does not run on Apple computers
- Get your personal student-license auhorisation code by sending an email to SPINlab
- Go to the ESRI website and login with your Esri Global account. If you do not have created a free account yet (you need it for the Tutorials as well), first do so and then login
- Enter the authorization code you have received by email (recall step 1) and click 'Activate ArcGIS'.
- Select version 'ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop' to download. You will now receive an email from ESRI with instructions. Simultaneously, you will be redirected to a next webpage with instructions and download links.
- Download at least 'ArcGIS for Desktop' (about 900 Mb). Further, also download the extension 'ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop' (about 400 Mb). If your computer does not have Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed yet, also download this package. If you do not know whether your computer already has this software installed, download it anyway. Upon installation (see next step), your computer will most likely tell you whether it is already installed or not.
- Install the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.
- Now, install 'ArcGIS for Desktop', then install then extension(s) you have downloaded. When prompted, select 'ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced Single Use' and then enter your autorization code (recall steps 1 & 3).
In order to get to know the basic functionality of the GIS-software package ArcGIS 10.1, which can be useful in your studies, you can do an on-line course Learning ArcGIS Desktop. ArcGIS, created by ESRI, is one of the most widely used desktop GIS programs in the world. The course is freely available within our Campus license. The course can be taken through the Virtual Campus. This is an on-line self-study platform developed by ESRI. There are many more courses available in the Virtual Campus. If you see an on-line self-study course you like, please contact SPINlab in order to obtain your free course access code.
- Go to http://training.esri.com and click "Go to My Training." Under My Courses click "My Virtual Campus Courses." If you already have an Esri Global Account, log in using your username and password. If you do not, click "Create New Account."
- Start Your New Course: Click "Start a new course". Type your 14-character Course Access Code in the field provided and click "Go." Follow the instructions on your screen.
- Go To Class from your course list, click the course title to begin.
If you have any questions, please contact SPINlab
In order to be able to take this course, you need a web browser (Internet Explorer for example) and the GIS-package ArcView 10.1. ArcGIS is available on your computer for this course. Also, copy the spatial data you need to download for the exercises to your computer's hard drive or to your memory stick if you want to preserve it. Click on the menu-item 'Course Data' to download the appropriate data.
Suggestion: Also take a look at other functionalities in the Virtual Campus, like 'Library' en 'Community'. There is lots of documentation available on ArcGIS.